Sunday, March 22, 2015

Spotlight: Pretty Bad Things by Yoly Marquez

Title: Pretty Bad Things
Author: Yoly Marquez
Genres: Realistic Fiction, Romance
Goodreads Link
Buy on Amazon

This isn't exactly a review. I think the best word for it would be a "spotlight." I haven't officially read the published edition of Pretty Bad Things. However, I had the privilege of reading the initial version of it on Wattpad. I fell in love with the characters, story, and author.

The basic premise is that Livvie is just about the lamest high schooler ever. She drowns herself in cardigans and lives without living. Until she crossed paths with Harvey, that is. Harvey is the cliche bad boy--motorcycle, reputation, and all. One thing leads to another, and Livvie ends up on the run with Harvey and his friends. Fortunately for her, this gives Livvie the perfect opportunity to go down the list of crazy things that she's always wanted to do. For the first time in her life, Livvie is about to do some pretty bad things.

For those of you who don't know, Wattpad is a platform for authors to share their work. It provides support and encouragement for writers as they struggle through the writing process. I discovered Pretty Bad Things way back when and it quickly became one of my favorites on the site. Though the plot isn't exactly realistic or relateable, the characters draw you in. Yeah, no one in my high school has ever been on the run. But I can definitely relate to an inexperienced teenager who just wants to live and let go for once in her life.

Though the grammar and the writing wasn't perfect when I first read it, the story captivated me enough that I hardly noticed. Who cares about a run-on sentence when I can't stop laughing? Who cares about a misplaced comma when my heart is skipping? I can't even imagine how fantastic the story is now that the book has gone through the final editing stages and is now published.

Behind the book is the exquisite author. Yoly Marquez, only a college student, is somehow already accomplishing amazing things. Not only has she now published a book, but she also works as a cover designer for other authors. Please, leave me alone while I cry about how cool she is. I'm so proud of her and she deserves recognition!

I haven't read the published edition of Pretty Bad Things, but I have read one of the first editions. If the final copy is even half as good as the initial copy... It's definitely worth reading. Please check it out and post some reviews! You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment