Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Inspire by Cora Carmack

Title: Inspire
Author: Cora Carmack
Format I Read: Kindle
Pages: 284
Genres: Romance, Fantasy, New Adult
Release Date: December 15, 2014
Stars: 3
Goodreads Link

I'd have to say that Inspire fell in the middle of the pack for Ms. Carmack this time. I love the Rusk University novels. Losing It and Faking It were meh for me. Inspire was just about in the middle.

I loved the concept. Kalli, the main character, is really Kalliope, the muse. She needs to inspire to survive. If she doesn't assist artists by bleeding out her inspiration, she will go mad. She struggles to live a normal life. And then she meets Wilder. She believes him to be a rational business man, someone who won't be endangered by her inspiration. Because too much inspiration can lead some people to insanity. Greatness is dangerous, which she had to learn the hard way. Kalli struggles to juggle her life without dropping any of the pieces. But is it possible for a muse to be normal?

The mythology was super fascinating. Ms. Carmack definitely did her research! The plot was impressive. Nonetheless, the book fell a little flat. Kalli was just a little too much for me. Her struggle and her insanity at times were a bit too overwhelming. Wilder was all things smolder and kind. He was the bad boy under the good boy facade. As much as I loved Kalli, I felt like Wilder who was the character who shined. He had more depth and complexity, in my opinion. I loved his character, though he did get a bit wishy-washy at the end.

Which brings me to the end. I didn't like it, but I kind of did at the same time. It was very abrupt and ended as a huge cliffhanger. I felt like the entire novel built up to something, some resolution, and suddenly "JUST KIDDING. BAM." It was disarming, to say the least. But I'm still interested, so I guess that says something.

So I'm torn with this novel. I'll definitely read the next installment because I'm dying of suspense. But the plot was just a little spotty and it kept tugging me back and forth. Kalli was a little too on edge for me. However, I'm still impressed. Ms. Carmack strikes again!

No comments:

Post a Comment