Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

Title: Maybe Someday
Author: Colleen Hoover
Format I Read: Kindle
Pages: 385
Genres: Romance, Realistic Fiction, New Adult
Release Date:  March 18, 2014
Stars: 3
Goodreads Link

This book definitely caught me off guard. I found myself simultaneously pulling away and being drawn back in.

Sydney finds herself with no place to go after she catches her best friend and her boyfriend in their lie. They've been cheating together, and Sydney's left angry and confused. Luckily, the man in the apartment across the way is willing to take her in. Deaf, yet musically gifted, Ridge is an enigma. He's been stuck with writer's block, but Sydney inspires him. They make a deal that he'll let her stay in his apartment if she helps him write songs. Together, they're fantastic. But it's not that easy... Especially when Ridge already has his perfect match, Maggie.

I really loved the chemistry between Sydney and Ridge. I loved how eager Sydney was to make Ridge feel normal and her willingness to fit in to his deaf lifestyle. The whole dynamic was really cool. I really loved the book until Maggie came along. She kind of ruined it for me. She was so sweet and I loved her character, but she shattered my hopes.

I felt myself rooting for Sydney and Ridge, but also fighting against them because Sydney was becoming the cheater. The push and pull kept me from enjoying the book fully. However, I did like how the book ended. It had a good ending and everything tied up.

There was nothing inherently wrong with the book. The character development seemed steady. The characters themselves were good, though Ridge made me a little angry. I'm just not a girl who likes reading drama like this. It physically hurt, the pain everyone was going through. From Sydney's pain that Ridge is choosing Maggie, to Maggie's pain at knowing Ridge loves Sydney, to Ridge's pain at being put in his position, I hurt. I stuck through and the book redeemed itself, but it hurt nonetheless. Because of that, I had to give it 3 stars. However, it would be a high 3!

If you like music or new adult, this is definitely for you. Especially if you like drama! Well done, just not quite my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment