Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Format I Read: Kindle
Pages: 336
Genres: Romance, Fiction, Drama
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Stars: 4
Goodreads Link

I've been meaning to read The Selection forever. The hype for this book (and series) is insane. However, the complaints are just as insane. I was turned off by the reported roller coaster love triangle. But, stuck in Boston with nothing else to read, I finally buckled down and read it.

For those who don't know, the premise is similar to The Bachelor. In the future, after an attack on the country, the United States becomes Ilea. In Ilea, we are ruled by a monarch. The prince has come to age and needs a wife, who will be chosen through the Selection. Thirty-five young women, one from each province, are chosen ("at random") to meet Prince Maxon, where they will all be narrowed down to the One. Stuck in a caste system where America (the protagonist) is a Five (out of Eight levels), her mother insists she apply for the Selection. America is reluctant, but her lover actually pushes her to apply, too. Ha, yeah. America has a lover/boyfriend. She's been secretly dating Aspen for two years, but he's a Six (in a lower caste). Because Aspen is so poor, he feels he can't support America if they marry, so he insists that she apply just for the opportunities. They end up breaking up. And joke's on him because she was chosen. So America leaves for the palace, brokenhearted because of Aspen. And she meets Maxon, who isn't as terrible as she expected...

I thought the plot was very interesting. I really enjoyed how Ms. Cass incorporated politics. The rebels and Maxon's progression into the "king" role was pretty fascinating. It added another layer to the novel.

I enjoyed the developing relationships. Maxon and America were pretty adorable. But I hated the sudden wrench in their relationship when (spoiler) shows up. That was kind of obnoxious. I just felt like I was constantly pulled back and forth. Between aw Maxon and America are adorable and wait he's still "dating" a dozen other girls. Between aw Aspen and America are meant for each other and wow what a dick. Between wow Marlee is so sweet and What the heck is she hiding. Between this and that. It really was a roller coaster. I didn't mind it as much at first, but it got kind of old.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the novel. I really loved America, who was a strong protagonist. I loved her voice. Like I said, I also loved the politics. It was all very interesting. I am eager to read the next installment, The Elite.

Good job, Ms. Cass!

No comments:

Post a Comment