Sunday, January 25, 2015

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

Title: Rebel Belle
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Format I Read: Hardcover
Pages: 345
Genres: Romance, Fantasy
Release Date: April 8, 2014
Stars: 5
Goodreads Link

Rebel Belle made me goofily smile numerous times, to the point where I had to hide my face in the pages. It was a fantastic read. I both started it and finished it today. Amazing!

The basic idea is that Harper Price, an overachiever and well-established "popular," becomes a Paladin. What the heck is a Paladin?, you may say. Well, it's a wonder you ask! A Paladin is like a super bodyguard. When Harper ends up in the crossfire of her killer history teacher and her not-so-ordinary school janitor, she ends up with the duties of a Paladin. And she's bound to protect David Stark, her enemy since just about birth. But why? And how will she juggle being a super bodyguard and preparing for Cotillion, while also keeping her best friend and boyfriend from getting too suspicious? She's wondering the same thing.

I thought that the book was wonderfully done. The character development didn't jump at all. Harper and David's relationship was natural and progressed as expected considering the situation. The book gave me flutters. The only thing that I didn't like was Mary Beth, one of their classmates. She was just too bitchy and her actions didn't sit well with me. However, that was really my only complaint.

The plot, setting, and lore behind the events was exquisitely presented. The story was completely original and kept me at the edge of my seat. Very interesting.

The "love triangle" (as some people may call it) was nearly non-existent. Yes, there was a struggle between the two boys, but I felt like it was pretty understated. There was no massive "Oh no, who do I choose?" It wasn't the major plot point; it was more of a side note. That was great.

I also just loved Harper and David. And Bee and Ryan, and basically everyone. They were all such great characters. Harper had such depth and I loved her voice. As a fairly neurotic high school student myself, I definitely related to her perfectionist/overachiever attitude. She was fantastic. She even had a background story in which her sister Leah-Anne died in a fairly substantial scandal. She was way more than what met the eye, and I loved that. David was the cutest mix of quirky, hipster, and ambitious. Bee was literally the best friend anyone could ask for. I kept waiting for the moment when I would start to hate her, but she was perfect. Ryan was the perfect southern boyfriend. As much as I wanted to hate him so that Harper-David could happen, I really couldn't. I couldn't really hate anyone (except for Mary Beth oops). They were all amazing.

Overall, I just loved it. Definitely 5 stars. I can't wait for the sequel (April 7 is so far away, nooo). Props to Ms. Hawkins!

No comments:

Post a Comment