Friday, June 12, 2015

Becoming Rain by K.A. Tucker

Title: Becoming Rain
Author: K.A. Tucker
Format I Read: Paperback
Pages: 384
Genres: New Adult, Realistic Fiction, Romance, Suspense
Stars: 4
Goodreads Link

Becoming Rain is the first book I've read by K.A. Tucker. Though this book is technically the second in Tucker's Burying Water series, the books appear to be standalone. I felt only a mild sense of loss because I hadn't read Burying Water. The characters from the previous book were mildly mentioned and featured, but not to an extent that I felt it hindered my experience reading Becoming Rain. So you can definitely read Becoming Rain without reading Burying Water!

For those who don't know what Becoming Rain is about:

Luke Boone doesn't know exactly what his uncle Rust is involved in but he wants in on it-the cars, the money, the women. And it looks like he's finally getting his wish. When Rust hands him the managerial keys to the garage, they come with a second set—one that opens up the door to tons of cash and opportunity. Though it's not exactly legal, Luke's never been one to worry about that sort of thing. Especially when it puts him behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 and onto the radar of gorgeous socialite named Rain.

Clara Bertelli is at the top of her game—at only twenty-six years old, she's one of the most successful undercover officers in the Washington D.C. major crime unit, and she's just been handed a case that could catapult her career and expose one of the west coast's most notorious car theft rings. But, in order to do it, she'll need to go deep undercover as Rain Martines. Her target? The twenty-four-year old nephew of a key player who appears ready to follow in his uncle's footsteps.

As Clara drifts deeper into the luxurious lifestyle of Rain, and further into the arms of her very attractive and charming target, the lines between right and wrong start to blur, making her wonder if she'll be able to leave it all behind. Or if she'll even want to.

This book was a nice change from my past few reads. I've been reading a lot of serious romances that deal with serious topics, such as mental disorders (like Scorched and When I'm Gone). Those have been great, but it was nice to change the pace with Becoming Rain. With its action and suspense, in addition to the romance, it was really interesting and different from other books I've read!

Unfortunately, I found that the crime plot was a little too complex for me--it was a bit too much for a book that I was reading more for the romance. Especially at the end, all the puzzle pieces were a little too overwhelming. However, it was an interesting contrast to the romance. It added an edge to what could've just been a normal "forbidden love."

With the romance, I really fell in love with the relationship in this book. Tucker created two amazing characters that had absolutely amazing chemistry. I loved watching Rain (or Clara) slowly abandon everything for Luke. I loved the gradual progression as she became less Clara and more Rain. And I loved how Luke was more than just a hot guy. From the start, Tucker established that he was more than just a man dealing in illegal activities. He was a genuine, sweet person who was inheriting a mixed up lifestyle. That whole aspect of the story made every other mistake or flaw about the book meaningless. It was captivating!

Thinking back, there were a lot of things that felt off about the book. I really did not like Warner (Rain's handler from the FBI). He was obnoxious and made me very uncomfortable. I hated the scenes that he was in. I also realize, in hindsight, just how dirty the whole book was. Rain/Clara was doing something very, very wrong by tampering with the investigation and leaving behind her wire when interacting with Luke. I probably shouldn't have enjoyed the book as much as I did. Nonetheless, I read it all in one sitting and basically devoured it.

Overall, a very interesting and different read that I'm glad I picked up! I enjoyed the change of pace and loved the romance. For those who love an all-encompassing romance and fantastic chemistry, I definitely recommend it. It was a great introduction to K.A. Tucker's books! 

No comments:

Post a Comment