Monday, July 27, 2015

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Title: Hopeless
Author: Colleen Hoover
Format I Read: Kindle
Pages: 410
Genres: Romance, Contemporary
Release Date: December 19, 2012
Stars: 4
Goodreads Link

Wow, that was a wild ride. I’ve recently been introduced to Colleen Hoover’s absolute mastery when it comes to novels; I read Confess a few weeks ago and am still reeling. Hoover possesses such a fantastic talent, the ability to create a puzzle that leaves you guessing until the very last chapter, the very last page.

Though the beginnings of her novels are often disorienting and discouraging, the ending makes up for the beginning of the book tenfold. Yes, I didn’t love the beginning. Holder just wasn’t a likable character and I didn’t understand his motivations. He was too back-and-forth, which Sky constantly comments on. I was just overwhelmed by the whiplash I got from his mood swings and his actions. But, by the end, I understood why he did what he did. Everything comes together in such an amazing, astounding way. I feel like I’m always whispering, “What just happened? How did she even think of all this?!” after her books. It’s truly an art. I aspire to be able to be such a fantastic story-weaver someday.

For those who don’t know what Hopeless is about:

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.



I really won’t go into much detail in this review because I’m scared that it’ll be riddled with spoilers. Like I said earlier, Hoover’s books are a puzzle. She utilizes the fact that the reader only knows what she reveals, what she wants them to know. This means that she can blindside you just about twenty times in each book. Because of this, I’m going to tread very carefully and speak very generally.

First of all: honestly, the puzzle! Guys, I know I’m talking about this puzzle a lot, but I’m honestly amazed. I just went on a twenty minute rant (to my mom) about how awing and shocking and disorienting and amazing these puzzles are. I’m shocked at every turn. I feel like every other chapter contains a plot twist that slowly helps you figure out what the big reveal is. This makes the ending so completely and utterly satisfying. It’s like the feeling when you finally finish a 1,000-piece puzzle: that indescribable feeling of accomplishment. Everything finally makes sense at the end of Hoover’s books. That’s the only word to describe it: satisfying.

Second of all: the content. I love that Hoover tackled this subject. I won’t mention what it is because spoilers, but it was really well done. Hoover approached it in an interesting way, enough so that it had an impact but didn’t feel like a book only about that topic. It was truly the perfect mix. I also loved Sky’s reactions to the situation at the end. She’s just such a strong, brave, and inspiring character. I really loved her by the end of the book.

Overall, Hopeless did not disappoint! It was true to Hoover’s M.O., in that it got a little bland and chaotic in the middle but really paid off in the end. A fantastically satisfying read that will leave you itching for more books by Colleen Hoover!

No comments:

Post a Comment