Saturday, January 24, 2015

Rae of Sunshine by Micalea Smeltzer

Title: Rae of Sunshine
Author: Micalea Smeltzer
Format I Read: Kindle
Pages: 287
Genres: Romance, Realistic Fiction
Realistic Fiction: November 23, 2014
Stars: 3
Goodreads Link

So I read this book over Christmas break, so it's not too fresh in my mind. However, I do remember that this was closed to not being finished. I had to push through. Which speaks for itself.

Cade, a star on campus, takes a sudden interest in the quiet freshman Rae. Rae is hurt and struggling to fit in on her own. She struggles with various psychological difficulties every day.

I felt like it was an interesting concept.  I could understand Rae's pain and suffering. However, I didn't quite understand the romance. I didn't like how Cade was a sudden panacea for her psychological struggles. That's not quite how human mentality works.

I felt like it was too fast-paced. Yes, Cade is a good guy, but what star football player would take such an interest in a random freshman? I was a little skeptical. I was also a little unsure about how quickly Rae seemed to change. If she was really as pained as she was played out to be--so much so that she's plagued by panic attacks and such all the time--, how did she leave all that behind in such little time? She may be falling for Cade, but he wasn't a cure. That's not quite how it works. It just seemed too fast for me.

I did like how Cade's interest and the characters defied stereotypes. Thea, Rae's roommate and Cade's sister, was anything and everything pink (including her personality). However, we learn that she was really more than that. There was more to her than a happy-go-lucky girl. The same went for Cade.

The book was well done. It just didn't quite stick with me. It dragged on because it felt too unrealistic. So I'd have to go with 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment