Monday, January 19, 2015

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Format I Read: Paperback
Pages: 466
Genres: Supernatural, Romance, Mystery
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Stars: 5
Goodreads Link

I just found this review (or the beginning of it at least) saved in my drafts. I reread this novel around the end of last year I guess?

Since I read it the first time, I've felt an attachment to the book. I bought a nice new copy, and it has a special place on my "Favorites" shelf. Yet I really couldn't remember the content. I realized that I had begun to mix the novel up with other novels and confuse the characters and events. This obviously meant it was time for a reread.

So I did just that. I reread it. And it did not disappoint. You know how you can tell it didn't disappoint? I devoured it. Completely devoured it. Within around 5-6 hours, I was done. Michelle Hodkin has an amazing talent. The suspense nearly killed me. It turned out it was a good thing I forgot everything because the shock, surprise, and captivation was all the more real.

I don't think anything impresses me more than authors who write mystery. It takes guts, dedication, and pure unadulterated talent. Ms. Hodkin strung me up, pulled me in, chewed me up, and spit me back out. By the end of the novel, I was pretty damn mindf-cked.

If you're a fan of Stephen King with a young adult twist, this is not a novel to pass up. It's one of those stories that will leave you whispering wow into an empty house at 1am (because you couldn't stop reading). I couldn't recommend it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment