Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Rising by Terra Harmony

Title: The Rising
Author: Terra Harmony
Format I Read: Kindle
Pages: 271
Genres: Fantasy
Release Date: November 7, 2013
Stars: 3
Goodreads Link

I wouldn't say I hated this book, but I definitely didn't love it. It was an interesting concept, sure. Who would've thought to put mermaids and werewolves together? But it just fell a little flat to me.

Basically, Serena is part of the Undine (mermaid) community. In order for her species to reproduce, they need to go onto the beach to mate like humans and later give birth on the beach. However, the werewolves, who used to protect them on shore, revolted in a massacre during a mass birthing. Serena was the only survivor of that massacre. She constantly sneaks out of the water, which is against the rules. As punishment, she becomes the Werewolf Liaison. This brings her to Liam, a werewolf, where the truth behind the revolt unfolds.

The book lacked a solid romance, which hurt for me because I'm a huge romance girl. The (mild spoiler) battle at the end just suddenly killed off a ton of people for what felt like no reason. I just felt like that was completely unnecessary.

However, one thing I will say about this book: the backstory and the setting were amazing. The creation of the werewolves and the relationship between them and the mermaids (or the Undine) were so well thought out and fascinating. I loved the world that Ms. Harmony created. It was a very interesting take on the mythology, which I give mad props for. I just didn't feel any connection to the characters or the plot really.

For mermaid (or Undine) lovers, definitely check it out though. It's a really cool explanation! However, if you like romance, this may not be the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment